Shadow

The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.

Schools sources

This is all the information that I have found about education in Clophill. Click to expand an item.



1630

The first mention of formal education

1717

Noe publick school

1720

Noe publick school

1790

First schoolmaster

1794

Attempt to start a Sunday School

1799 Taylor's Cottage

Girl's Sunday School - Taylor's Cottage
Sunday School for 30 girls
Lintel

1800

Anniversary sermon

1807

Samuel Whitbread

1809

Sunday School for 30 boys

1811

National Society

1812

Second Sunday School for girls

1814

British and Foreign School Society founded

1818

Report on schools

1833

Government allocates money for schools
Abstract of Education Returns

1835 Reading Room

Reading Room
Application for Union
Letter from Rector

1836

Plan of one-roomed school
Conveyance with plan of Reading Room
The building is advancing
Certificate of the completion of the school
Letter from Mendham

1838

Committee of the Privy Council established

1839

Pigot's Directory of 1839

1841

Census

1844

Rev Nethersole's will
List of schools

1846

Training school teachers

1851

Census

1853

Daily school established

1860

List of schools

1861

Census

1862

Primitive Methodist Chapel

1864

Kelly's Directory

1869

National Education League

1870

Elementary Education Act
Letter from Gustavus Bosanquet

1871

Title
Letter of thanks from Bosanquet
Census
Ground plan of school
Conveyance

1872 National School

Opening of Clophill National School
Headteacher James Figg

1876

Royal Commission on the Factory Acts

1880

Elementary Education Act

1881

Census

1885

Headteacher Mr Legg

1890

Headteacher Mr Humphrey Cunningham

1891

Census

1891

Elementary education free

1893

School leaving age = 11

1901

Census

1902

New Education Act

1904

Description of the physical school

1911

Census

1924

Headteacher Mr Harry Russell

1930

Haynes' children bussed to Clophill

1932

Headteacher Frank Holden

1938

Shefford Secondary School opens

1939

World War II

1945

End of World War II

1946

Children moved again to Shefford

1950

Headteacher Mrs Dorothy Kent

1961

New school extension

1971

Headteacher Mr Keith Stanley

1973 St Mary's School

St Mary's School

1975

Headteacher Mrs Marion Roberts

1977

Old National School building demolished