The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.
CLOPHILL is a village and parish, on the road from Luton to Bedford, 3½ miles west from the Shefford station on the Bedford and Hitchin branch of the Midland railway, about 3½ east from Ampthill station on the main line and 8½ south from Bedford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Flitt, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Ampthill, rural deanery of Ampthill, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The Flitt, a tributary of the Ouse, flows through the parish. The church of St. Mary was erected in 1848 by public subscription, of the sandstone peculiar to the Wrest estate: it is in the late Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and south aisle, with an embattled tower, containing 2 bells and octagonal tower attached rising above the former, also embattled: the old church of St. Mary (now used for burials only) contains several interesting memorial tablets to the Rev. Charles Fletcher M.A. 1753, the Rev. William Pierce Nethersole, vicar of Pulloxhill, 1799, and another to members of the family of the Rev. Ezekiel Rouse: the roof is of ancient oak. The register dates from the year 1568. The living is a rectory, net yearly value about £295 with 70 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lord Lucas and Dingwell, and held since 1900 by the Rev. Horace Rollo Meyer M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. There are Sunday schools for both boys and girls, attended by nearly 120 children; the girls wear hats, for which there is a collection in church every year. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. There is a reading room near the church.
The charities for distribution amount to about £60 yearly, and there is also Bryan's charity of £5 10s. for poor widows. Castle Hill, about three-quarters of a mile to the south-east of the village, is supposed to have been an extensive Norman fortification, and was used for military purposes during the Civil Wars. Lord Lucas is lord of the manor and principal land-owner. The soil is principally sand; subsoil, gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, beans and market garden produce. The area is 2,417 acres of lend and 8 of water; rateable value, £3,484; the population in 1901 was 893.
Parish Clerk. Bennet Stimson. Post. M. O. & T. Office - James Wootton, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Ampthill at 6.40 a.m. & 1.20 p.m.; despatched at 10.55 a.m. & 6.15 p.m.; no Sunday delivery of letters Letter box, near "Flying Fox," cleared at 11 a.m. & 6.15 pm. week days only Public Elementary School, built in 1871 by Lady Cowper & others, at a cost of £1,000, and will hold about 230 children; average attendance, 125 boys & girls & 70 infants; Humphrey Cunnington, master; Miss. Burton, infants' mistress
Carriers to:- Ampthill - Samuel Gaylor. tues. thurs. & sat Bedford - Joseph Bolus, sat.; Saml. Mitchell, wed. & sat. Shefford - Herbert Burgoine, fridays
Gaunt John Penn, Ivy house Goodall Mrs, Clophill barns Horn Misses, The Warren Hubback Mrs. Oakley house Meyer Rev. Horace Rollo M.A.[rector), Rectory
Appleby Ernest George, blacksmith Ampthill Urban District Water Works (James Anderson, engineer] Ashley Thos. Hy, painter & shopkpr Blackburn John, draper Bolus Joseph, New inn, & carrier Cakebread Arthur, blacksmith Chapman George, shoe maker Chapman Joseph, shoe maker Clophill Credit. Society (John H. Smith, sec) Collip Susan (Miss), shopkeeper Course & Sons, flour mills (water) Crouch Edward, farmer, Cainhoe
Daniels Henry. shopkeeper Deverill William, poultry farmer Dunham Alfd. Geo. insurance agent Garner William, fishmonger Garton Alburn Chas. Green Man P.H Gaunt John Penn L.R.C.P.Edin. & M.R.C.S.Eng. physician & surgeon, Ivy house Gaylor Samuel, carrier Goss Ebenezer. shopkeeper Grummitt Arthur, market gardener Harris George, market gardener Hinton Robert J. beer retailer Hinton William, market gardener Juffs Albert, baker Kendall Hannah (Mrs.), dress maker Maddams John, farmer, Brickwall fm Masters Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper Matthews William, market gardener Maudlin Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper Mead Maria (Mrs.), shopkeeper Mitchell Sl. carrier, Pedleywood farm
Odell Henry. farmer Palmer Charles. butcher Parkinson Lucy (Mrs.), shopkeeper Perkins Samuel. shoe maker Quenby James Liles, assistant. overseer & clerk to the Parish Council Reading Boom (Humphrey Cunnington, sec) Roberts Amos, Compasses P.H Robinson Chas. Hy. Flying Horse P.H. Seabrook William Edward, farmer, Beadlow Sheppard David, market. gardener Smith John, shopkeeper Taylor William,. corn merchant Titmas William, castrator Tuffnell Frank, beer retailer Upton Henry, farmer, Northfield Welch Arthur, farmer Whittamore James, carpenter Woodcroft Isaac, market gardener Wootton James. tailor, Post office