The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.
By cross-linking occupier information in the 1911 Census with occupier information in the 1910 Finance Act survey it is possible to identify some of the present addresses of buildings and hence identify who lived there.
It is not possibly to do it for all census entries for a number of reasons. The buildings may have been demolished, the numbers written on the map by the valuer may be illegible or the map may be missing. See How its done for more information.
|Address||Kind of Building|
|High Street||Private House|
|First Names||Surname||Relation||Condition||Sex||Age||Birth year||Occupation||Where born|
|George||ODELL||Head||Married 45 years||M||67||1844||Market Gardener||Shefford Bedfordshire|
|Odell, George||Crouch, Edward. Cainhoe, Ampthill||Ho Bldgs & yard||High Street|
|Willison H.||Willison H.||H B's & P||Church House, High Street||B & T Detached.
Down p L K Pantry (B&S). Up 3B. Attic. Out WB & T. B 7 CI E.C. WB & CI Washhouse. WB & CI Large 2 bay barn, Loft over half, 1 bay sometimes used stable. WB & T 3 henhouses. B Unheated Glasshouse 19½ x 8.
'Church House used to be Vergerís house and Mr Willis the Verger lived there before the Jefferies moved there. The Jefferies were market gardeners and had the buildings put up alongside.' Jack Pitt's Clophill Memories.