The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.
By cross-linking occupier information in the 1911 Census with occupier information in the 1910 Finance Act survey it is possible to identify some of the present addresses of buildings and hence identify who lived there.
It is not possibly to do it for all census entries for a number of reasons. The buildings may have been demolished, the numbers written on the map by the valuer may be illegible or the map may be missing. See How its done for more information.
|Address||Kind of Building|
|High Street||Private House|
|First Names||Surname||Relation||Condition||Sex||Age||Birth year||Occupation||Where born|
|Samuel||MITCHELL||Head||Married||M||54||1857||Village Carrier||Steppingley Bedford|
|Esther||MITCHELL||Wife||Married 18 years||F||60||1851||House Work||St Marys Bedford|
|Mitchell, Samuel||Dickson, Ellen Elizabeth||Cottage pres & gdn||High Street|
|Appleby E.G.||Appleby E.G.||Ho Smithy, B's & P||High Street||Pebble-dashed & T Detached.
Down P L K. Up 3B Bathroom – cold only. Out WB & CI Wood barn. B & CI E.C. . Out WB & CI Wood barn, B & CI E.C. WB, B & S. 21x14. Furnace. 2 Good Garages.
|Bathroom - cold only. Co's water 4/- 1000 11/- year. Rent of meter.|
The 1925 Finance Act survey shows that the two cottages were demolished and the present house was built by Mr Appleby, the blacksmith. There was a smithy attached to the west end of the house.