Shadow

The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.

Further information

By cross-linking occupier information in the 1911 Census with occupier information in the 1910 Finance Act survey it is possible to identify some of the present addresses of buildings and hence identify who lived there.

It is not possibly to do it for all census entries for a number of reasons. The buildings may have been demolished, the numbers written on the map by the valuer may be illegible or the map may be missing. See How its done for more information.


Information for - King's Cottage (south)

1911 Census entry for house

AddressKind of Building
High StreetGrocer's shop

1911 Census entry for occupants

Error. SET OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS=1

Unknown system variable 'OPTION'

Query: SET OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS=1

First Names Surname Relation Condition Sex Age Birth year Occupation Where born
Susan COLLIP Head Single F 68 1843 General Shopkeeper Stanford Southill Parish Beds
Alice COLLIP Sister Single F 53 1858 Shop Assistant Stanford Southill Parish Beds

1910 Finance Act

Occupier Owner Description Situation
Collip, Susan Collip Susan, Clophill House & pres High Street

1925 Valuation Act

Occupier Owner Description Situation Detail Valuer's Comments
Widdowson A.H.B. Widdowson A.H.B. H, Shop B's & P Crosstrees. High Street b Stucco & T Semi-detached.
Down Shop, P S L Pantry. Up 3B. Out CI S & T Open shed, B & T E.C. Shared, WB felt & CI Henhouse, B & T Henhouse, Store, Coal barn & store, WB & T Barn used rabbits. 1B in roof.
V. poor.

Listed Building

Not listed

Additional Information

'The Cross Tree House and the cottages adjoining it had a complicated history. It was owned by John Carter in 1716 when it was occupied by Mrs. Rawlins at 4.10.0 rent and valued at 85. The title deeds starting with an extract from the Court Baron of Henry Duke of Kent on 13th June, 1739 are in the County Record Office, presented by Miss Widdowson after the death of her relative Mr. Widdowson, who had held it as a shop.' Mary Phillips. The Clophill Story. 'Kings Cottage has been altered, originally it was Bonners Cottage and it was a shop run by Sue Collip. Fred Gudgeon, who worked at the Waterworks, lived there. It was probably renamed Kings Cottage after the King family who lived there after the Gudgeons. When it was Kings Cottage it was used as a visiting Doctor's surgery.' Jack Pitt's Clophill Memories.