The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.
By cross-linking occupier information in the 1911 Census with occupier information in the 1910 Finance Act survey it is possible to identify some of the present addresses of buildings and hence identify who lived there.
It is not possibly to do it for all census entries for a number of reasons. The buildings may have been demolished, the numbers written on the map by the valuer may be illegible or the map may be missing. See How its done for more information.
|Address||Kind of Building|
|Ivy House||Private House|
|First Names||Surname||Relation||Condition||Sex||Age||Birth year||Occupation||Where born|
|Geoffrey Duke||COLERIDGE||Head||Married||M||33||1878||Pupil To A Land Agent||Ottery St Mary Devon|
|Jessie Alehca||COLERIDGE||Wife||Married 6 years||F||30||1881||Lockgilphead Argyll|
|Phyllis Mary||COLERIDGE||Sister||Single||F||27||1884||Paddington London|
|Mary Elizabeth||JONES||Servant||Widow||F||48||1863||Cook Domestic||Southam Warwick|
|Elizabeth||MANNS||Servant||Single||F||35||1876||Nurse Domestic||Catherington Hants|
|Editte||CORE||Servant||Single||F||24||1887||Parlourmaid Domestic||Sandhurst Berks|
|Richard Duke||COLERIDGE||Son||M||5||1906||Ottery St Mary Devon|
|John Seymour Duke||COLERIDGE||Son||M||2||1909||Ottery St Mary Devon|
|Gaunt, J P||Burrows, Samuel. 82 Victoria Street, Westminster||House pres & garden||High Street|
|Tanqueray A H.||Tanqueray A H.||H. B's & P||Ivy House, High Street||B & T S Detached.
Lounge hall, Dining room, Drawing room, Study, Butler's pantry, Scullery, Maid's sitting room, Kitchen, W.C.
Up Bathroom – washbasin, 4 Bedrooms. 2nd floor 2 attics – maid's Bedrooms, 1 attic – used boxroom. Cellar good, under dining room.
|Co's water. Lamp lighting. Cesspool drainage. Stands right on road. Upstairs rather cramped. Nice garden. Dining room opposite end of house from kitchen.|
|Title||Location||Grade||Number||Date first listed||Date of most recent amendment||Details|
|IVY HOUSE||IVY HOUSE, 52, HIGH STREET, Clophill, Central Bedfordshire||II||1311958||22 October 1952||NA||House. Mid-late C18. Red brick with clay tile roof. Double pile plan, 2 storeys, front block of 3-room plan, 2 storeys and attics. 3 sashes with glazing bars to ground and first floors. Doorway, to R of central bay, has door of 3 moulded panels, and flat hood supported by shepherds crook pilaster/brackets (a feature peculiar to the region). Brick dentil cornice to eaves. Gable ends have brick coping with moulded kneelers. Red brick integral stacks to both gable ends. Single-storeyed outbuilding adjoins to W.|
'By 1851 Ivy House was occupied as a girls’ boarding-school run by Miss Prosser and her mother who had been a Miss Locke of the Warren Farm. Later it became a doctor’s house and at the end of World War I was owned by Mr. Tanqueray, a magistrate and highly respected in the village.' Mary Phillips. The Clophill Story.