The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.
By cross-linking occupier information in the 1911 Census with occupier information in the 1910 Finance Act survey it is possible to identify some of the present addresses of buildings and hence identify who lived there.
It is not possibly to do it for all census entries for a number of reasons. The buildings may have been demolished, the numbers written on the map by the valuer may be illegible or the map may be missing. See How its done for more information.
|Address||Kind of Building|
|High Street||Post Office|
|First Names||Surname||Relation||Condition||Sex||Age||Birth year||Occupation||Where born|
|James||WOOTTON||Head||Married 52 years||M||74||1837||Tailor And Superintendent||Bedford Beds|
|Edith||WOOTTON||Granddaughter||Single||F||26||1885||Assistant Postmistress||Maulden Beds|
|Wootton, James||Wootton, James. Clophill||Ho & Post Office||High Street|
|Wootton L.C.||Wootton L.C.||H. Shop & P||The Post Office, High Street||B & S Detached.
Down P L K S Shop. Up 3B. Out WB & CI Barn & E.C., Loft over, WB & CI Toolshed, B & S E.C. 1 Bay down.
|Tailor's shop used as post office also. V. good house.|
'No 46 (Wootton House) was originally the Post Office and when that shut a grocery shop opened, run by Mrs Wootton. Her husband, Linden, did tailoring in one of the side rooms. In the barn alongside, a Mr Cotham did shoe mending.' Jack Burgoine's
Memories of Clophill.
'No 46, Wootton House was the original Post Office and sweet shop. The Post Office was run by Jimmy Wootton (Mrs Wootton had died) and he had a daughter (Edie) who looked after the shop and son, Lyndon, who was a tailor and made menís suits in one of the rooms of the house. In the garden of No 46 there was John Cottonís cobblers shop.' Jack Pitt's Clophill Memories.