The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.
By cross-linking occupier information in the 1911 Census with occupier information in the 1910 Finance Act survey it is possible to identify some of the present addresses of buildings and hence identify who lived there.
It is not possibly to do it for all census entries for a number of reasons. The buildings may have been demolished, the numbers written on the map by the valuer may be illegible or the map may be missing. See How its done for more information.
|Address||Kind of Building|
|Clophill House||Private House|
|First Names||Surname||Relation||Condition||Sex||Age||Birth year||Occupation||Where born|
|Robert||BAILEY||Head||Married 37 years||M||62||1849||Baptist Minister||St Marys Kenington London|
|Sarah Ann||BAILEY||Wife||Married||F||63||1848||St Marys Kenington London|
|Baily, Rev Robt Ino The||Adcock, Ava Mrs. 1 Highbury Road, Hitchen||Ho Gdn & pres||Clophill House|
|Soundy H.C.||Soundy H.C.||H. B's & P.||Clophill House, High Street||Summary of accommodation.
Down Hall, 4 Reception rooms, Cloakroom, Kitchen, Scullery, Pantry, Wine cellar.
First floor. 4 Bedrooms, 2 Dressing rooms, 2 Bathrooms, Maids Bedroom.
2nd floor. 2 Box rooms, Maids room.
Co's water laid on. Lamp lighting. Cesspool drainage. No central heating. Glowworm coke hot-water boiler. Secluded but right on road. Buildings not in very good order. Tennis court poor. Kitchen garden good. Telephone. Grounds.
|Mr Soundy has been trying to sell house for last 3 years (£3,500). Dining room not very conveniently placed for back premises (across hall and through lounge).|
|Title||Location||Grade||Number||Date first listed||Date of most recent amendment||Details|
|CLOPHILL HOUSE||CLOPHILL HOUSE, HIGH STREET, Clophill, Central Bedfordshire||II||1113740||22 October 1952||10 January 1985||House. Later C18, apparently a refronting of an earlier building, with later alterations. Earlier C18 block adjoins at right angle to E. Red brick with some flared header decoration to rear and E blocks. Clay tile roofs. Main block is 2 storeyed, of double pile plan with 2-span roof, rear block with gambrel roof. E block of one storey and attics, forming overall L-plan. Main facade : 5 window range with brick bands at first floor and cornice levels. Stone coped parapet, an early C19 addition. All windows are sashes with glazing bars under gauged brick segmental heads. To RH is slightly recessed block, an early C19 addition, with single light to ground floor and blind windows to first floor and parapet. Parapet surmounted by stone urns and pineapple. Red brick stacks to both gable ends. Front door is in E block. 6 moulded panel door in moulded architrave with hood on scroll brackets. E block has variety of windows, mostly casements. Interior : main block retains original staircase with 3 turned balusters per tread and one wood panelled room, both to rear.|
Clophill House had iron gates on the corner of Mill Lane but the metal was taken away for the 1939-45 war effort and the wall bricked up.' Jack Pitt's Clophill Memories.