The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.
By cross-linking occupier information in the 1911 Census with occupier information in the 1910 Finance Act survey it is possible to identify some of the present addresses of buildings and hence identify who lived there.
It is not possibly to do it for all census entries for a number of reasons. The buildings may have been demolished, the numbers written on the map by the valuer may be illegible or the map may be missing. See How its done for more information.
|Address||Kind of Building|
|High Street||Grocer's shop|
|First Names||Surname||Relation||Condition||Sex||Age||Birth year||Occupation||Where born|
|William||HARRISS||Head||Married 10 years||M||53||1858||Shop Keeper||Blackfriars London|
No information available.
|Green H.H.||Green H.H.||H. B's & P.||The Croft, High Street||B & T Detached.
Down P L K S. Up 3B.Out B & S E.C. B & S Coal barn. Garage (2 seater). Tool shed. Loft over all. 2 Attics.
|Nice Garden. Used to be shop. Nice but converted premises and right on road.|
|Title||Location||Grade||Number||Date first listed||Date of most recent amendment||Details|
|THE CROFT||THE CROFT, 7, HIGH STREET, Clophill, Central Bedfordshire||II||1138013||10 January 1985||NA||House. Mid-late C18 reworking of earlier C18 building, with earlier block, possibly C17, adjoining to RH. Both blocks apparently originally timber framed. Main one is partly rebuilt in brick laid in header bond, the front of vitrified bricks with red brick dressings. RH block has colourwashed roughcast render, C20 tile roofs. L-plan, main block of 2 storeys and attics, RH block of one storey and attics. Main block : ground floor has 2 3-light windows in enlarged openings with rendered heads. First floor has 3 2-light leaded casements with gauged brick heads. Blocked central doorway. First floor flush red brick band. Red brick ovolo eaves cornice. Integral red brick stack to LH gable end. RH gabled block : 2-light leaded casement to each floor, ground floor one a C20 replacement.|
'7 High Street, currently owned by Pete Warner and up for sale, was the Drapers Shop run by Mr Harris. This was when Jack learned about 'Dearmer' money (Note - we believe this term came about as the result of a trust set up for the poor people of Clophill by Thomas Dearmer in 1630 and which is still part of the present Clophill United Charities). Anyone in the village, who did not own a house or a horse and cart, could go on the list and get Shilling 'Dearmer' tickets; so you could go to Mrs Harris with a Shilling Shirt Ticket. You could also get an allowance for coal but it had to be spent in Clophill. Mr Harris drowned himself in a water butt.' Jack Pitt's Clophill Memories.