The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.
By cross-linking occupier information in the 1911 Census with occupier information in the 1910 Finance Act survey it is possible to identify some of the present addresses of buildings and hence identify who lived there.
It is not possibly to do it for all census entries for a number of reasons. The buildings may have been demolished, the numbers written on the map by the valuer may be illegible or the map may be missing. See How its done for more information.
|Address||Kind of Building|
|The Stone Jug||Public House|
|First Names||Surname||Relation||Condition||Sex||Age||Birth year||Occupation||Where born|
|Mabel||TUFFNELL||Wife||Married 5 years||F||34||1877||Beds Clophill|
|Tuffnell, Frank||Fordham E K & H Ltd, Ashwell, Nr Baldock||Beerhouse & pres||The Stone Jug|
|Tuffnell F.||Fordham E.K. & H. Ltd||Beer house & P.||The Stone Jug, Back Street||Stone & S detached.
Down L Bar Taproom K Store Cellar. Up 3B.
Trade. 1 ½ barrels week. 4 doz bottles stuff. No idea of takings. All local trade.
Alterations (enlargement) Now Living room, Bar & Taproom, Kitchen, Cellar. Up 3B. NeWB urinal.
|Was two cottages. House very damp. Living room floor gone. (Dry rot- no ventilation) Trade is probably incorrect. Tenant keeps no books.|
'The Stone jug arrived in Back Street about 1861 being described as One Beerhouse licenced, occupied by Frederick Upton, owner John Low of Clophill, tied to Fordham of Ashwell. Later this passed to the Tuffnell family who nearly lost their licence at an early stage. Through inexperience Mr. Tuffnell allowed an ugly scene to develop into a punchup serious enough to attract police. However the magistrates were lenient on the grounds that Mr. Tufnell had only held the house for three months.' Mary Phillips. The Clophill Story.