Shadow

The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.

Further information

By cross-linking occupier information in the 1911 Census with occupier information in the 1910 Finance Act survey it is possible to identify some of the present addresses of buildings and hence identify who lived there.

It is not possibly to do it for all census entries for a number of reasons. The buildings may have been demolished, the numbers written on the map by the valuer may be illegible or the map may be missing. See How its done for more information.


Information for - Green Man

1911 Census entry for house

AddressKind of Building
Green Man Inn Public House

1911 Census entry for occupants

First Names Surname Relation Condition Sex Age Birth year Occupation Where born
Alburn Charles GARTON Head Married 18 years M 46 1865 Publican Bedfordshire Biggleswade
Martha GARTON Wife Married F 42 1869 Publican Bedfordshire Biggleswade
Winifred Martha Elizabeth GARTON Daughter Single F 15 1896 No Occupation Bedfordshire Biggleswade
Lily GARTON Daughter F 12 1899 No Occupation Bedfordshire Biggleswade

1910 Finance Act

Occupier Owner Description Situation
Cole, Edward James Wells & Winch, Biggleswade Public House Green Man

1925 Valuation Act

Occupier Owner Description Situation Detail Valuer's Comments
Garton Mrs M. Wells & Winch Ltd Public House, B's & P The Green Man, High Street B stucco & T Detached. Down L, Taproom, Bar, Bar parlour, Cellar, Pantry, Store room used rubbish, K, Barn. Up 3 Large B, 3 small B (used lumber) Landing, small box room. Out B & T Woodshed & E.C., CI Urinal. Brewers call about twice a month. Trade 1 ½ barrels a week, 4 gallon spirits a month. 6 doz bottled a month. Takings about £12 a week. Does not keep accounts. Get Luton Police & Stati Fair once a year.

Listed Building

Title Location Grade Number Date first listed Date of most recent amendment Details
THE GREEN MAN PUBLIC HOUSE THE GREEN MAN PUBLIC HOUSE, THE GREEN, Clophill, Central Bedfordshire II 1137963 10 January 1985 NA Public House. Circa 1800 refronting to earlier C18 building. Front of colourwashed brick, rear of colourwashed render and weatherboarding, possibly over timber frame. Clay tile roof. 7-bay facade, 2 storeys. Sash windows with glazing bars, 6 to each floor, ground floor ones flush sashes. 3rd bay has C20 porch to ground floor and blind window to first floor. Hipped roofed lower addition to RH gable end. 2 wings projecting from rear have red brick multiple ridge stacks.

Additional Information

None