The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.
Click on the highlighted links or drag the map to see the features.
There were three inns, The Flying Horse, The Compasses and The New Inn, two Public Houses, The Green Man and The Stone Jug (not labeled) and one Beerhouse, The Rising Sun (not labeled).
There was the new (1848) St. Mary's Church in the village opposite The Rectory and the Old St Mary's Church on the hill. The Parish Rooms (lost) were in front of the Rectory.
There was a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (lost) and a Primitive Methodist Chapel(lost).
There were two Smithies, one on The Green (lost) and one in the High Street (lost), an operating Corn Mill and a Mill House(lost).
The Old School (lost) stood in front of the present school.
Near the church was The Reading Room (lost).
Being below the Greensand Ridge, there a number of Old Sand Pits.
The A6 used to pass alongside The Green and over the old three-arch stone bridge (demolished and replaced) and along Silsoe Road. Alongside the bridge was a ford.
W - Well. P - Pump?. M.P. - Mile Post. G.P. - Guide Post. B.M. - Bench Mark. (altitude)