Shadow

The history of Clophill, Bedfordshire, UK
Including historical descriptions, maps and statistical analysis.

The Ampthill News

No. 2,254.

NOVEMBER 1911.

ONE PENNY.

Saturday November 4, 1911

The Rector's Thursday Evening Bible Class met last week for the first time this season, when 44 were present. All men are cordially invited to join.

A football match was played on Saturday, the visitors being Shillington Reserves. As the Shillington first team had no match they brought a strong side, no fewer than seven of its members being regular players with the first eleven. However, Clophill put up a good fight and were beaten by the odd goal in five.

The annual meeting of the Reading Room members was held on the 26th ult. The Rector presided over a pretty full muster. The accounts were passed and it was proposed to devote the balance in hand to purchasing a full sized billiard table if possible. Lord Lucas was re-elected President; the vice-Presidents elected were Rev. C. L. Matthews, the Hon. G. D. Coleridge, and Messrs. E. Crouch and W. E. Seabrook. The other officers were all re-elected, and a first rate committee was chosen. The Reading room is quite an institution in the village, and its advantages are fully appreciated by the young men of the place.

Saturday November 11, 1911

Ploughing and Hedging. Competitions at Flitwick.

Saturday November 18, 1911

On Saturday the Clophill Football team received a visit from Wilstead, and as was the first encounter, Clophill won. The score was three goals to nil. The goals were scored by H. Whittamore, J. Shepperd, and J. Durston, who scored from a penalty kick.

On Nov. 8th. Mr H. Swaffield, of Ampthill, acting under the instructions of Mrs. Fredk. Crouch, offered for sale at the Flying Horse Inn, about 51/2 acres of grass land (copyhold). Having a good frontage on the main street of the village. Mr. Crouch bought the land about 30 years ago for something like £600. It was now knocked down to Mr. Henry Upton, of Northfield farm, for £240.

On Sunday afternoon, the Rev. C. L. Matthews held a special service for men in the Parish Church, when 65 were present. The Rector hopes to hold these services on the second Sunday in each month, at 3.30. and all men are cordially invited. Mr. Matthews delivered a straight and practical address on the text, "Marvel not my brethren if the world hate you." Our new Rector is evidently a most earnest and devote worker; and that his efforts are appreciated is shown by the increased number of people who attended the services, particularly on Sunday evenings, when the church is always practically full.

Saturday November 25th 1911

We beg to congratulate Mr. Crouch, of Cainhoe, on reaching his eighty-eighth birthday, on the 17th inst. He is still hale and hearty, and walks to church (about 3 miles) and back every Sunday morning.

On Nov. 15th, Miss Florence Gudgin met with what might have been a very serious accident. She was riding her bicycle along the village street, when another cyclist, riding without light, ran into her machine. She was thrown over the handle bars, and injured her right arm and her knee. On Dr. Garner's advice Miss Gudgin went to the Hospital at Bedford. The X rays showed that no bones were broken; but she is still obliged to carry her right arm in a sling, and it will be some time before she regains the full use of it.

The Old Cross Tree, which stands in the centre of the village, has been lopped this week. It is an elm, and has stood for many years. It is quite hollow - a mere shell - but it still seems full of vigour. The oldest inhabitant can remember it when it had just begun to decay. It is lopped every six or seven years, or its head would become too heavy. The village boys love to climb up inside the tree, and look out at the top. Very soon it is to be enclosed with an iron railing as it is one of the few venerable things which the village possess.